Monday, December 14, 2009

Banana Sweet Potato Muffins with Chocolate Chips




















I have a confession.  I love bread.  Not bread like French Bread, or bread like sandwich bread, but bread like pumpkin bread, banana bread, ginger bread.  Those types of breads.  The reason why this is a confession, and probably the confession of all confessions is because if these types of breads are around me, I will eat it all. Every crumb.  I'm like a tornado, ready to take everything that is in my path.  Yes, that's me.  I made the Blueberry Sweet Potato Bread last week.  Did you make it?  Well I would offer to give you some of mine, but I ate the entire loaf in two days.  So here we are, a week later, and I found myself in the kitchen again, my body craving the usual delicious bread.  And do you know what happened this time?  I made 16 of these cute muffins, and I ate 11 within 24 hours.  I consumed 4 the first night, 3 the next morning and 4 later that day after lunch.
























But, in my defense these have nothing but fruits and vegetables.  Ok, it has chocolate and maple syrup too.  Oh, and flour.  Ok fine.  I should not eat breads in bulk, but whatever, I run, I take spin classes, and I just took my first yoga class after my 11 muffins.  Let's make this clear: I'm not confessing to you because I want change my ways.  I'm confessing because if I am addicted to one thing, I can not think of something better to be addicted to than delicious, moist, can't-stop-eating breads. Amen.


P.S.
I did the math, and each of these muffins only has 93 calories.  Wish I would have known.  I would have eaten 5 more.


Banana Sweet Potato Bread


1 cup Sweet Potato Puree
3 ripe bananas
1/4 cup Maple Syrup Agave Blend (You can use brown sugar here, but just make sure that you change the amounts of course.  I would suggest a cup of brown sugar if you wanted to go that route.)
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons of butter
1 egg
chocolate chips for the tops
powdered sugar


Place all wet ingredients in a large mixing bowl.  Slowly mix in the flour, making sure to scrape the sides  to get all of the flour mixed in.  Mix until just combined.  Place into greased muffin tins, and fill only about 1/4-1/2 full.  Sprinkle with chocolate chips, as many or as few as you would like. Place into a preheated 350 degree oven and cook for 20-25 minutes.  Remove from pan easily with the help of a utensil, on a cooling rack. Sprinkle powdered sugar on muffins when they are luke-warm.  Serve immediately.  For a bit of extra goodness, but the muffins in half and place a bit of butter on them.  Make sure to sprinkle powdered sugar only on the muffins that you will be eating.  The sugar will melt if left on too long, and look yellow in color which is not appetizing.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. uuh, these look very nice!! and if only 93 calories per one, it's better than nice! ;) I like the pictures and I like your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my these look wonderful! I love that they are healthy too

    ReplyDelete
  3. These were fantastic!
    I made them today and discussed them on my blog!
    spinachandspice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete